This article is about Microsoft SharePoint Upgrade and its process.
To upgrade from Microsoft SharePoint Server to SharePoint Server 2019, you can use the database attach method. In the database attach method, you first configure a SharePoint Server 2019 farm.
Then you can copy the content and service application databases from the SharePoint Server, and then attach and upgrade the databases. This upgrades the data to the newest version. Site owners can then upgrade individual site collections.
Microsoft SharePoint Upgrade 2019
After completing configure process a new SharePoint Server 2019 environment, you can copy the content and service application databases from the SharePoint Server 2016 to the SharePoint Server 2019 environment. You can use a backup and restore method to copy the database.
You can also select to set the databases to read only in the SharePoint Server 2016 environment so that users can continue to access their information, but not change it.
Before you attach and upgrade the content databases, preview the following highlights and take any recommended actions.
- Ensure that account that you use to attach the databases is a member of the db_owner fixed database role for the content databases that you upgrade.
- Make sure that account that you utilize to create web applications is a member of the administrators group in the SharePoint Central Administration website.
Create the SharePoint Server 2019 farm
The initial stage in the upgrade process is to create a new SharePoint Server 2019 farm:
- A server farm administrator installs Microsoft SharePoint Server 2019 to a new farm. The administrator then configures farm settings and tests the environment for upgrade.
- A server farm administrator sets the SharePoint Server 2016 farm to read-only so that users can continue to access the old farm while upgrade is in progress on the new farm.
Copy the SharePoint Server 2016 databases
The second stage in the upgrade process is to copy the databases to the new environment.
- With the farm and databases in read-only mode, a server farm administrator backs up the content and service application databases from the SQL Server instance on the SharePoint Server 2016 farm.
- The server farm administrator restores a copy of the databases to the SQL Server instance on the SharePoint Server 2019 farm and sets the databases to read-write on the new farm.
Upgrade SharePoint Server 2016 Databases and Service Applications
The third stage in the upgrade process is to upgrade the databases and service applications.
- A server farm administrator configures the applications of service for the new farm.
- Business Data Connectivity service application
- Managed Metadata service application
- Performance Point Services application
- Search service application
- Secure Store Service application
- User Profile service application
- A server farm administrator creates a web application on the SharePoint Server 2019 farm for each web application on the SharePoint Server 2016 farm.
- A server farm administrator installs all server-side customizations.
- A server farm administrator then attaches the content databases to the new farm and upgrades the content databases for those web applications.
The end stage in the upgrade process is to upgrade the collections site. The upgrade process for My Sites is slightly different from for other types of site collections.
Upgrade My Sites
A server farm administrator upgrades the My Site host and then every users can upgrade their My Sites or the farm administrator can upgrade them by using PowerShell. The following highlights shows four stages for the My Site host and My Sites during the upgrade process.
- The My Site host has not been upgraded. My Sites cannot be upgraded yet.
- A server farm administrator has been upgrade to My Site host.
- Some users have upgraded their My Sites.
- All My Sites have been upgraded.
Being a Microsoft Certified Partner Locus IT provides MS SharePoint Customization, MS SharePoint Training Mumbai, MS SharePoint Staffing, Microsoft SharePoint upgrade support and services. For more information please contact us.