This article is about SharePoint Migration Tool and Reports Overview.
There are different options that are available to migrate content to SharePoint Online, depending on the quantity and size of files you need to move.
A component of your Office 365 enterprise subscription, SPO (SharePoint Online) is a cloud based collaboration platform that lets you and your organize, organization store, and share data and easily communicate with each other.
With SPO, you can share common resources and applications on portals, search to discover information and expertise across your organization, and stay in the know with personalized news in SharePoint home and the SharePoint mobile apps.
SharePoint Online Migration Planning
The method you choose to move your data depends on a number of factors including the amount of data and the size. Which data you need to move? Where is the content currently stored? Taking time to plan your migration, including taking an assessment of your data and inventory, is key to a successful migration.
Methods for SharePoint Online Migration
SharePoint Migration Tool
The SPMT (SharePoint Migration Tool) can freely migrate your files from SharePoint on-premises document libraries, lists or regular files shares.
OneDrive Sync Client
After installing the OneDrive Sync client, you can easily drag and drop files to a folder on the computer and the content will automatically sync with either SharePoint Online or OneDrive.
Uploading files one shot at a time from the SharePoint Online tenant.
SharePoint Migration Tool
The SharePoint Migration Tool allows you migrate lists or files from your SharePoint on-premises document libraries or from your on-premises file shares and easily move them to either SharePoint or OneDrive in Office 365. It is available to Office 365 users.
It is designed to be used for migrations ranging from the lowest set of files to a large scale enterprise migration, the SharePoint Migration Tool will let you bring your information to the cloud and take full advantage of the latest collaboration, intelligence, and security solutions with Office 365.
Use the SharePoint Migration Tool
The SPMT (SharePoint Migration Tool) is a tool that migrates your files from SharePoint on-premises document libraries or regular file shares and easily moves them to your SharePoint Online tenant. It is available to all Office 365 users.
Before you begin the SharePoint Migration Tool (SPMT), note where your data is located and where you want those files. You will be prompted for the exact location of your data files and the location of the SharePoint Online site collection where you want them moved.
The SharePoint Migration Tool allows you select from two sources from which to migrate your data: from an on-premises SharePoint Server site or from a local file share or network path.
- SharePoint On-Premises: If you select the SharePoint On-Premises option, you will get popup to enter the name of the SharePoint Server site where your files are located and prompted for your credentials for that site. It will indicate what document library you wish for migration.
- File Share: If you select the this option, you will be asked to enter the present location of the file share, the URL of the SharePoint Online site, and the document library where they will be moved.
SharePoint Migration Tool Reports
The SharePoint Migration Tool generates summary, log files and task level reports to help you manage, audit and troubleshoot your migration process.
These reports can be previewed while the migration is taking place or after the jobs are complete.
Viewing Task Level Reports:
- After the migration process begins, click View task report.
- A folder file will open showing listing the task level reports that have been generated for that specific task
Viewing summary reports:
- After migration completes, click Open Report.
- A folder with the summary reports opens.
Two types of summary reports are generated. The second type of summary report is generated only if migration failures.
- SummaryReport.csv. This report contains a single row of data that gives the total picture total size, number of files migrated, duration.
- FailureSummary.csv. This report is created only when failures or errors happen during the migration process.
Being a Microsoft Certified partner Locus IT provides Microsoft SharePoint Migration Support, Microsoft SharePoint Migration Staffing, MS SharePoint Data Migration Support, Microsoft SharePoint Software upgradation and other Microsoft services. For more information please contact us.