The SharePoint Backup and Recovery procedures includes farm backup and recovery, granular backup and recovery, and recovery from an unattached content database.
You can start backup and recovery operations by using the SharePoint Central Administration website or PowerShell cmdlets. Note that some built-in backup and recovery tools may or may not meet all the necessary requirements of your organization.
SharePoint Backup and Recovery Scenarios
Backing up and recovering data supports many business steps, including the following:
- Recovering intentionally deleted content that is not usually protected by the recycle bin or versioning.
- Migrating data between installations as part of a hardware or software upgrade.
- Recovering from an unexpected failure.
Farm Backup Architecture in SharePoint Server 2016
The farm backup architecture in SharePoint Server starts a SQL backup of content and service application databases, writes configuration content to files and also backups the Search index files and synchronizes them with the Search database backups.
The architecture supports both full and differential backups. Full backups create a backup of new for complete system. Differential backups will creates a backup of each and every changes that are usually stored in the databases since the last full backup.
The farm backup system is organized hierarchically. The main components in a farm that you can select for backup includes the following highlights:
The farm is the highest-level object. Select from the following options when you are perform a farm backup:
Content and Configuration Data (Default)
The whole server farm is backed up. This includes settings from the configuration database.
Configuration database settings are backed up so that you can even apply configurations across farms.
Within a web application you can even select one or more of the content databases to back up.
A Web Application Backup Includes the Following:
- Application pool name and application pool account
- Authentication settings
- General web application settings such as managed paths and alerts
- IIS (Internet Information Services) binding information, such as the protocol type, port number and host header
- Changes to the Web.config file that were made through the Central Administration or object model
Services and Service Applications
An instance of a service that is not shared is the Service State. Service and service application backups contains the settings for a service application or service and any databases associated with it.
Many service application databases cannot be backup initially from SharePoint Server. To back up service application databases only you must utilize SQL Server backup.
Shared services require both a service application proxy and a service application to run. Select the Shared Services node to back up each of the service applications and the related service application proxies on the farm.
Search Service Application Backup Process
Back up and recovery of the Search application is a special case because of the complexity of interactions between the components of the application.
When you are going to start a backup of the Search service application, SharePoint Server starts a SQL Server backup of the Search administration database, crawl databases, and property databases. This procedure also backs up the index partition files in parallel.
The Backup Process is as Follows:
- Master merges are paused to preserve the master index.
- A full database backup starts.
- The index master is backed up.
- Crawls are paused.
- All shadow indexes are backed up.
- An incremental database backup starts.
- Crawls are resumed.
- Master merges are resumed.
Granular Backup and Export Architecture
- The granular backup and export architecture utilizes Transact SQL queries and export calls. Granular backup and export is a high read-intensive and processing-intensive operation than farm backup.
- From the granular backup system you can even back up a site collection or export a site or a list.
- If you are currently running SQL Server Enterprise the granular backup system can optionally utilize SQL Server database snapshots to make sure that data remains consistent while the backup or export is in progress.
- After you create a snapshot, SharePoint Server utilizes it to create the backup or export package and then it deletes the snapshot.
Being a Microsoft Certified partner Locus IT provides SharePoint Backup and Recovery Support, SharePoint Backup Staffing, Microsoft SharePoint Data Migration Support, SharePoint upgradation and other Microsoft services. For more details please contact us.