Getting insights into your Business Central data is easy by using Power BI with Business Central content packs. Power BI retrieves your data and then builds an out-of-the-box dashboard and reports based on that data.
You must have a valid account with Dynamics 365 and with Power BI. Also, you should download MS Power BI Desktop, if you wish to create your own Power BI reports. Power BI content packs require permissions to the tables where data is retrieved from.
The following content packs are available:
- Dynamics 365 Business Central – CRM
- Dynamics 365 Business Central – Customer List
- MS D365 Business Central – Finance
- Dynamics 365 Business Central – Items List
- Dynamics 365 Business Central – Jobs
- Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central – Jobs List
- Dynamics 365 Business Central – Purchase Invoices
- Dynamics 365 Business Central – Sales
- MS Dynamics 365 Business Central – Sales Order List
- Dynamics 365 Business Central – Vendors List
Using the Power BI with Business Central Dashboards
Each content pack provides reports that you can drill into:
- Choose any visual on the dashboard to bring up one of the underlying reports.
- Filter the report or add fields that you want to monitor.
- Pin this customized view to the dashboard to continue tracking. You can refresh data manually, and you can set up a refresh schedule.
The content packs are pre-configured to work with data from the demonstration company that you get when you sign up for Microsoft Dynamics Business Central.
When you install the apps in Power BI, and you connect to your own data, some reports may not work because they rely on data that your company does not have. In those cases, you can simply remove that report from your dashboard.
- Select Get Data at the bottom of the left navigation pane.
You may also get starting from within Business Central. From the role center, go to the Report Selection in the Power BI Role Center part. Click either the Service or My Organization from the ribbon.
Once either of these actions are selected, you will be taken to either the Organization gallery in Microsoft Power BI or to the services library in MS Power BI, which will also be filtered to only display content packs related to Business Central.
- In the Services box, select Get. This will open a page with the AppSource and Apps for Power BI apps.
- Select Apps from the Apps for Power BI apps tab, choose the Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central content pack that you want to use, and then select Get it now.
- When prompted, enter the name of your company in MS Dynamics 365 Business Central. This is not the display name. The company name can be found on the ‘Companies’ page within your Dynamics 365 Business Central instance.
- Once connected, a dashboard, report and data set will automatically be loaded into your Power BI work space. When completed, the tiles will update with data from your Dynamics 365 Business Central company.
We at Locus IT provide Power BI with Business Central Integration services along with training, support and implementation. We also provide staffing services. For more information on how Microsoft Power BI with Business Central services can help your organisation, please contact us.