You can set up and use Business Central Workflow that connects business-process tasks performed by different users. System tasks, such as automatic posting, can be incorporated as steps in workflows, preceded or followed by user tasks. Requesting and granting approval to create new records are typical Business Central Workflow steps.
In the Workflow window, you create a D365 Business Central Workflow by listing the involved steps on the lines. Each step consists of a Business Central Workflow event, moderated by event conditions, and a D365 Business Central Workflow response, moderated by response options. You define D365 Business Central Workflow steps by filling fields on workflow lines from fixed lists of event and response values representing scenarios that are supported by the application code.
Simpler Workflows Across Business Areas
1. Simplified Payment Process
New improvements and Business Central development have been introduced into the payment process, by adding searchable aliases (alternate keywords) for customer/vendor/employee ledger entries pages and by introducing a Create Payment action that transfer selected entries to journals. As a result, it is easier in Microsoft Business Central to:
- View outstanding vendor invoices. Select and choose which to pay. Automatically fill in payment journal.
- View outstanding customer invoices, Select and choose to receive payment. Automatically fill in cash receipts journal.
2. Simplified Journals
New simplified layout of the General, Purchase, and Sales Journal pages by adding support of two view modes for journals.
- Fewer columns
- General Journal: Debit/Credit entry fields
- Purchase Journal: Show only account types specific to purchases
- Sales Journal: Show only account types specific to sales
Simplified view enables easier data entry for new users and can be easily switched to standard view for processing of advanced scenarios.
3. Remind User to Release Purchase / Sales Order
It is a common case when user forgets to release a sales or purchase order, which results in the documents not being available for warehouse handling. A new release in Microsoft Business Central warning for users will be displayed when closing a document, based on the following conditions:
- The order is not released yet.
- Lines with the Quantity field filled in exist.
- The Location Code field is filled in on the lines.
- The location requires Pick/Ship or Receive/Put-away.
4. Warning about Unposted Document is Enabled for Invoices Only
Warning about unposted documents have been adjusted. Advanced filtering for warning has been added about unposted document and set default filter to “Document Type” = Invoice, which means that it by default only shows up for invoices. Users can change this to include other document types.
5. Improved Handling of Situations when Currency Exchange Rates are Missing
Users often create new currency but forget to add exchange rates, which leads to errors when user tries to select the currency in documents. To improve users’ experience, a confirmation dialogue that guides the user to the Exchange Rates page, so user can fix missing exchange rates has been added. Also a reminder about missing exchange rates when creating a new currency code has been added.
6. Copy Account Schedules
Users often run the same financial report in slightly different versions, such as a detailed income statement or a summary income statement. A Copy action on the Account Schedules page has been added, so users can save a lot of time copying an account schedule and edit it, rather than build an account schedule from scratch. Also warning on “system” account schedules has been transformed into dialog, so users can decide whether they want to review the “system” account schedule or edit a copy.
7. Check-Avail. Period Calc. Setting is not Needed for Basic Available-to-Order Scenarios
Users often forget why the Earliest Receipt Date field is not updated when notified about low inventory from sales orders. Check-Avail. Period Calc. setting is optional on the Company Information page, so the Earliest Receipt Date field is always calculated when there is expected inventory supplies.
8. EU Shipment Method Code Support for Intrastat
EU Intrastat report definition contains a number of data elements that are optional in EU but are required or conditionally required in some countries inside EU. The enforcing mandatory parameters was a common change in local versions. A new configuration setting has been added that removes the need for localizations in countries where this is required or conditionally required.
9. Address Format Consolidation
Different requirements for formatting of addresses have been aligned, so with current:
- We can dynamically update the County field caption to State/Region/Province etc. (New County Name field on the Country/Region page)
- We can dynamically change the visibility of the County field dependent on the address format of the corresponding country/region code
- In addition to predefined strings Custom Address Format option has been added, and a simple visual designer to build the option in the Countries/Regions page
10. Cancel Purchase Invoices Posted from Order
To align functionality with sales part and help user to fix wrong posting the Cancel action on posted purchase invoices related to purchase orders has been enabled in Microsoft Business Central.
11. US/CA: Users can Update Tax Amount on General Journal Lines
To align functionality with VAT and allow user to handle tax differences we enabled US/CA users to update the Tax Amount field on a general journal line.
12. Items Purchased for Specific Jobs use Fixed Application
From an accounting perspective, a specific application is the preferred way to value any changes of your stock. So, when Items are purchased directly for jobs, they are now consumed with Fixed application even if the costing method is Average. It is also much easier to handle purchase returns (Still requires application worksheet to link negative adjustments).
13. Drill-Down on the Inventory Field on the Item Card
The Inventory (Available) field in Item card now contains both an AssistEdit to do quick adjustment of inventory level and DrillDown for easy investigation of the transaction history.
Dynamics 365 Business Central is sold and implemented through a worldwide global network of Dynamics 365 partners with industry expertise. Locus IT is a Microsoft Dynamics 365 partner and we provide solutions that extend the capabilities of Dynamics 365 Business Central when you have unique business processes or industry needs.