You can choose to setup a contact as a person or a company, typically depending on whether you know the name of the contact person at the time of creation. You can do this by filling in the Type field on the Business Central Contacts Creation Card page.
You can also maintain contact cards for both a company and one or more persons working in the company. This happens automatically when you fill in the Company Name field on a contact card of type Person.
You regularly meet persons from other companies that may develop into business relationships, such as a customer relation. When such a new contact is made, as much information as possible must be recorded on a contact card so that communication can continue.
Functionality is the same for both types, except that the options for extra information differs depending on the type. For example, you can only allocate job responsibilities to a person and industry group to a company.
You can change the value of the Type field later, or you can use the fields on the Inheritance FastTab on the Marketing Setup page to control which data is shared between a person and the person’s related company.
Business Central Contacts Creation Steps
1. To Create a Contact Manually
- Choose the search icon, enter Contacts, and then choose the related link.
- Choose the New action.
- In the No. field, type in a number for the contact.
Instead, if you have set up a number series for contacts on the Marketing Setup page, you can press the Enter key to insert the next accessible contact number.
- Enter in the remaining fields as required. Hover over a field to read a short description.
2. To Create a Contact from a Customer, Vendor or Bank Account
If you have customers, vendors, and bank accounts that you want to create contact cards for, you can utilize the Create Contacts from batch jobs to generate contacts on the basis of the present data. When you generate a contact this way, the contact information is later synchronized with the related customer, vendor, or bank account information.
- Choose the search icon, enter one of the following, depending what you want to create contacts from, and then choose the related link.
- Create Contacts from Customers
- Create Contacts from Vendors
- Create Contacts from Bank Accounts
- On the request page that opens, in the Customer, Vendor or Bank Account section, place filters if you need to create contacts from specific customers, vendors or bank accounts.
- Choose the OK button to start creating contacts.
The subsequent contact numbers in the number series are assigned to the new contacts. The business relations that are specified on the Marketing Setup page is assigned to the newly created contacts.
3. Synchronizing Contacts with Customers, Vendors and Bank Accounts
If some of your contacts are also customers, vendors, or bank accounts, you can synchronize the contact information with the related customer, vendor, or bank account. The data synchronization between the contacts and the related customers, bank accounts or vendors is authorized in three ways:
- When you link contacts with existing customers, vendors, or bank accounts from the contact card.
- When you create customers, vendors, or bank accounts from contacts.
- When you create contacts as customers, vendors, or bank accounts.
4. To Link a Contact to an Existing Customer, Vendor or Bank Account
If you have a contact and either a customer, vendor, or bank account for the same company, you can link the two entities so that common data is synchronized.
- Open the contact that you want to link.
- Choose the Link with existing action, and then choose the Customer, Vendor, or Bank action.
- On the page that opens, select the customer, vendor, or bank account to link to.
- In the Current Master Fields field, specify whose fields to prioritize in case of conflicting information in the fields similar to the contact and customer, vendor or account. For example, if the salesperson code is distinct on the contact card than on the customer card, you can select to keep the one on the contact card by selecting Contact.
- Choose the OK button.
5. To Create a Contact as a Customer, Vendor or Bank Account
If you have a customer, vendor, or bank account for thee company that you want to create a contact for, you can use the Create as function. When you generate a contact this way, the contact information is later synchronized with the related customer, vendor or bank account information.
- Choose the search icon, enter Contacts and then select the related link.
- Select the contact you need to create as a customer, vendor or bank account.
- Choose the Create As action, and then choose either Customer, Vendor or Bank.
- Select the OK button.
The contact information is pushed from the contact card to a new customer, vendor or bank account card. You may need to add specific information to each of the cards, such as invoicing and payment details. For more information on Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central Contacts Creation, please contact us.