This article provides important information about the Dynamics GP Account Framework and its capabilities.
A account framework is a set of maximum values, such as maximum segment lengths that each of your company’s account formats must fit within. The account framework is very difficult to change after it’s set up.
Understanding the Dynamics GP Account Framework
- The framework includes maximums for the account length, the number of account segments, and the length of each segment.
- These maximums will be used for the accounts format in every companies you’re planning to set-up. You’ll enter the specific account format for all company when you access Dynamics GP and set up the company.
- Maximums you enter for account framework during installation will be applicable to additional companies that you set up later. For instance, you could enter the account framework maximums table during the installation process.
Using a Custom or Default Account Framework
- You can use a default account framework or you can design your own account framework.
- The account framework applies to every companies in your Dynamics GP system, and represents the maximum length of your accounts, segment lengths, and number of segments. The account framework is difficult to change after you set it up by using Dynamics GP Utilities.
- To use the default GP account framework, you’ll select Basic as the installation option in GP Utilities after you install Dynamics GP. The Basic option will also provides default settings for your system password and system database.
- If you think that the basic installation’s default account framework fits your business needs then you don’t need to plan your account framework before you install Dynamics GP and use Dynamics GP Utilities.
- If you decide not to use the default framework, preview the sections Planning for your account framework and choosing account framework storage size to plan your account framework before you install Dynamics GP.
- After your account framework install MS Dynamics GP, you’ll have to select Advanced as the installation option in MS Dynamics GP Utilities.
- Use Dynamics GP Utilities to enter a Dynamics GP Account Framework for the account formats that will be used by all companies you’ll set up in Dynamics GP.
Planning your Account Framework
- When planning an Dynamics GP Account Framework, think about the account format you’ve used with your previous accounting system and consider future expansions and the account format for additional companies you may add to your system later.
- Plan the maximum number of segments that you’ll use in any company, and the maximum length of each segment.
- Notice that the total of the three segment lengths exceeds 75 the maximum account length 66. Moreover, the account format for each company is within the account framework maximum.
Choosing Account Framework Storage Size
- You’ll need to consider the storage size that is required for each segment. The storage size is made up of segment units that determines the size of each segment.
- Each segment uses one or two segment units for storage that depends on whether it’s an odd or an even-numbered segment. These units will be included to the total length of all segments.
- When the maximum account length is set then the total segments units must be 82 or less. For instance, assume that the account has two 5- character segments and seven 8-character segments, the total storage size will be 82.
- However, if you use all odd-numbered segment lengths then you can incorporate the large segments in your account framework because odd-numbered segment lengths use only one segment unit each. For instance, you could use ten 7-character segments in your account framework, which provides a total length of 70 characters, and a total size of 80.
Microsoft Dynamics GP gives your company at the top of its game and a service plan that helps keep it there. With flexible options to choose from, depending on where you do business, a service plan helps you stay competitive and compliant, so you get the highest return on your software investment.