This article is about Dynamics GP web components and we’ll introduce the major parts of the installation.
What are the Dynamics GP Web Components?
The Dynamics GP web components include the service based architecture, web client and web management console. These Dynamics GP web components can be installed together on the same server or installed separately on different servers as needed.
- The Dynamics GP web client provides access to the Dynamics GP through the Internet Explorer web browser.
- The functionality and user experience provided by the Dynamics GP web client closely matches the experience of using the Dynamics GP desktop client.
- Client application software is not installed on the user’s local system. The Dynamics GP application process for the user is running on a different server.
Parts of the Web Components
There are several parts of the Dynamics GP web components installation that function together to present the web client to the user.
- An Internet Information Services (IIS) web site is the main entry point for the Dynamics GP web client.
- This is the web site that users connect to when they access the web client. It shows the login page where users supply their credentials to access the system.
- The site must be configured to use SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) to help ensure data security.
The server machine that runs on the sessions of the Dynamics GP web client are called session hosts.
The Session Service runs on each and every session host machine. It manages the new process that is created each and every time a user logs into the Dynamics GP web client.
Session Central Service
- The Session Central Service handles the communication between the web site and the session host machines.
- When multiple session host machines are available in the Session the Central Service will balance the processing load among the available machines.
Dynamics GP Web Client Runtime
- The Dynamics GP Web Client runtime is a main component of the Dynamics GP installation.
- A web client runtime process is created by the Session Service every time a user logs into the Dynamics GP web client.
- The Dynamics.exe process is used by the desktop client, the web client runtime process accesses the business logic in the application dictionaries and the data in the SQL database.
- Instead of displaying the user interface in a Windows application the web client runtime shows the user interface in a browser.
Web Management Console
The Web Management Console is a separate HTML application that is utilized to perform administrative tasks for the Dynamics GP web client. These tasks include actions like removing web client sessions.
Components of Service Based Architecture
The components of service-based architecture functions together to expose the service calls to integrating applications. The components include the following:
- A WCF web service that serves as the entry point for the service.
- The GP Service is responsible for performing the authentication on the incoming request and directing it to a Dexterity Service that can execute the request.
- The GP Service must be configured to use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) to help ensure data security.
The server machines that hosts the Dexterity Service are called session hosts. Every session host machine will have an installation of Dynamics GP and the Dexterity Service Control.
Dexterity Service Control
The Dexterity Service Control is running on every session host machine. It manages the Dexterity Service instances that execute the requests.
- The Dexterity Service is a component of the GP installation.
- The Dexterity Service gets requests from the GP Service and executes them using a Dynamics GP runtime instance.
- There could be more than one runtime instances for a single Dexterity Service on a session host.
- Like the Dynamics.exe process used by the desktop client, a Dexterity Service runtime instance will access the business logic in the application dictionaries and the data in the SQL database.
Being a Dynamics GP partner we provide MS Dynamics GP training, MS Dynamics GP support, MS Dynamics GP implementation and much more services. For more details please contact us, we’ll be happy to help you to refine your current system or create a customized solution.