This article is about Microsoft Dynamics CRM Security Model and its Overview.
For every business user data security is the first concern while purchasing a new software for business so Microsoft have implemented Dynamics CRM Security for Business Solutions.
Microsoft Dynamics CRM is a software application which is designed keeping such concerns in mind. As a move in the direction of improved data security, Dynamics has introduced a new Dynamics CRM security model.
The Main Features of the Security Model are:
- Users can access only the data, which is correct for their job, not to any other.
- Different roles are introduced and data access is provided based on these roles.
- Users will be able to share data with others without giving any ownership.
Dynamics CRM Security Model Types
Microsoft Dynamics CRM provides three types of security:
- Role based security
- Record based security
- Field level security
Role Based Security
- It provides particular sets of privileges to a particular user in Dynamics CRM.
- If we want each users with the security role of Sales Manager to have write, read and delete access to all Lead records while users with the security role of Salesperson should have only read access of the Leads they own role based security settings help accomplish this.
Record Based Security
- It allows or restricts access to specific records in the CRM.
- If we want to restrict a users from accessing Case records then record based security helps accomplish this.
Field Level Security
- It restricts or allows access to specific fields on an entity in Dynamics CRM.
- If we want only a users to see a specific field like Annual Revenue on Lead entity the field based security can hide or display that field based on users.
Security Roles in Dynamics CRM
In Dynamics CRM, different security roles are assigned based on which data access levels are set. They define the Security privileges and access levels for various entities in CRM. Every security role is categorized into eight sections. They are Core Sales, records, Service, Marketing, Business Management, Service Management, Customization and Custom entities.
The Main Lists of Default Security Roles available in CRM are:
- System Administrator
- System Customizer
- Sales Manager
- Sales Person
- Other Standard roles
Creating a Security Role in Dynamics
A security role can be created in many different ways
- To create a security role from the scratch
- To modify a CRM default role
- To copy an role existing and modify its privileges
The ideal way to create a security role is to copy an existing role and then change its privileges. Dynamics CRM contains 580 predefined security privileges. so, it is very difficult to create a new security role from the scratch.
Security Role Privileges in Dynamics
Privileges enables the level of access a user has to a specify record or its type. The following are the set of Security privileges associated with each Security role in CRM
- Create: Allows the user to create a record newly in CRM
- Read: Allows a user to preview a record in CRM
- Write: Allows a user to edit a record in Dynamics CRM
- Delete: Allows a user to remove or delete a record in CRM
- Append: Allows the user to attach some other entities to a record
- Append to: Allows the user to attach other entities with a record like account
- Assign: Allows assigning ownership of a entity to another user
- Share: Allows to send or share the record information with another user by keeping the ownership
Levels of Access
- None: No Privileges given.
- User: The security privilege will be given to the records owned by user and the team to which the user belongs to.
- Business Unit: Privileges to records owned by the units of business to which the user belongs to.
- Parent: Privileges to the records owned by parent business unit and the child business units associated to that business unit.
- Organization: Privileges for each and every records in the organization regardless of who owns it.
The Microsoft Dynamics CRM security model protects data integrity and privacy, which opens up new and safer opportunities of data access and collaboration.
Locus IT is a Microsoft Dynamics Partner and has a clear knowledge of Microsoft Dynamics CRM Services and the particular challenges that exists in Dynamics CRM. We provide services like Dynamics CRM Security Training, Dynamics CRM Security Support and Dynamics CRM Security Customization. For more details please contact us.