To ensure a smooth and successful AX Upgrade Analysis, you can use the upgrade analysis functionality in Life Cycle Services (LCS) to assess the impact of an upgrade based on the analysis data of your model and plan your upgrade to Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012.
In order to get the most features of a Dynamics AX investment, many organizations look to upgrade to AX 2012 R3 to access new and improved capabilities like warehouse management or e-commerce and social media.
AX Upgrade Analysis Process
In LCS, using AX upgrade analysis, you can either plan a full-version upgrade to AX 2012 from AX 4.0 or AX 2009 or an in-place upgrade from one version of AX 2012 to another.
AX Upgrade analysis uses an RDC tool to analyze the information about the existing AX System. This information can help you in estimating the scale of the upgrade project. To use the upgrade analysis functionalities, you need to first setup RDC tool, and then upload the RDC files and AOD files.
The RDC tool collects metadata about the production environment, such as the number of records in the tables. Here are the steps you need to follow:
1. Install the RDC tool
- Sign in to LCS.
- Open a project, and then click “Upgrade analysis”.
- On the upgrade analysis create a new job page, in the source-to-target upgrade list, select “Download”.
- Download the RapidDataCollector.msi file, and run it on an AX 4.0 or AX 2009 client to install and run the Rapid Data Collector service. The Rapid Data Collector service creates a zip file that contains files of RDC.
- Enter a name for that job, identify the version and build of AX that you are upgrading from, and then click “Create”.
2. Upload and analyze files
You can upload RDC and AOD files in any order.
- Select, On the “Upgrade analysis” upload page and add files.
- Enter the file location and click “Upload”.
- After you’ve uploaded all the files, click “Analyze”. When the upgrade analysis process is completed, the status appears as Completed.
AX In-place upgrade
In case of in-place upgrades, you need to upload a model store that you have exported as a zip file.
1. Export model store
Use the AxUtil command-line utility to export the model store from the system that you plan to upgrade. Use any application to zip the export model store file.
2. Upload Zip File
- In LCS, open a project, and then click “Upgrade analysis”.
- On the Upgrade analysis create job work page, enter a name for the page, identify the version and build of Dynamics AX 2012 that you are upgrading from, and then click “Create”.
- Click on the “Upgrade analysis file upload” page and add files.
- Browse to the zipped model store, and then select “Upload”. After the file is uploaded, the site lists the file name and size.
- Click “Analyze Code” to start the analysis process. This process usually takes about 4 hours, depending on the size of the model store. When the process is complete, the status appears as Complete.
- Once the analysis is complete, click on “Download report”.
The download process creates two reports: an overview report, which is an HTML file, and a detailed report, which is an Excel file.
To view the detailed report, you need to download the Excel spreadsheet. This report contains a number of sheets which provide a detailed description of the impact of different elements in the upgrade process.
Ensure a Seamless Upgrade
With any enterprise software, upgrades are inevitable. As technology, industry dynamics, and the customer needs keep changing, upgrading to the latest version of Dynamics AX enables organizations to cater to new requirements and improve their bottom line.
If you are currently not running the latest version of AX and are looking to upgrade, the upgrade functionality in LCS provides you with detailed information on all code conflicts that would need to be addressed before you embark upon the upgrade journey.
By understanding conflicts and issues and resolving them on time, you can consistently plan a full-version, minor-version, and in-place upgrade to Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012.
Being a Microsoft Dynamics certified partner, Locus IT provides Dynamics AX services like AX Upgrade support and AX Upgrade staffing. We also provide training, implementation and migration services. For more information please contact us.