IoT Applications Overview
Though the potential is there for IoT (Internet of Things) to improve nearly each and every aspect of urban living, there are mainly three IoT applications for smart cities. Approximately 70% of the world wide population is expected to live in cities by 2050 according to Gartner.
This urban growth is already placing a considerable strain on the existing infrastructure, and with many people making the move to urban living, it’s only going to get worse in the upcoming years. To accommodate this new demand on cities, around the globe are turning to the IoT (Internet of Things) innovation to enhance their services, reduce costs, and improve communication and making their interaction more flexible.
A more Efficient Water Supply
- The IoT has the potential to transform the way cities consume water.
- Smart meters can improve leak detection and data integrity to prevent lost revenue due to inefficiency, and boost productivity by reducing the amount of time spent entering and analyzing data.
- These meters can be designed for customer facing portals by providing residents with real-time access to information about their consumption and water supply.
An IoT Innovative Solution to Traffic Congestion
- As more people move towards cities and its leads to traffic congestion which is already a massive problem and its only going to get worse.
- Fortunately, the IoT (Internet of Things) is well positioned to make improvements in this area that can benefit residents immediately. For instance, smart traffic signals can adjust their timing to accommodate commutes and holiday traffic and keep cars moving.
- City officials can collect and aggregate data from traffic using mobile phones, cameras, vehicles, and road sensors to monitor traffic incidents in real-time.
- Drivers can be specially alerted of accidents and directed to routes that are less congested. The possibilities are endless and that impact will be substantial.
More Reliable Public Transportation
Public transportation is disrupted whenever there are bad weather, road closures, or equipment break downs. IoT can give transit authorities the real-time insights they need to implement contingency plans, ensuring that residents always have access to reliable, safe, and efficient public transportation. This may done using insights from connected devices or cameras at bus shelters or other public areas.
IoT technology is making it simple for buildings with legacy infrastructure to save energy and improve their sustainability. Smart building energy management systems, for instance, use IoT devices to connect disparate, cooling, nonstandard heating, lighting, and fire-safety systems to a central management application. The energy management IoT applications provides highlight areas of high use and energy drifts so staff can correct them immediately.
Improved Public Safety
- Smart cities and their CSP partners often implementing video monitoring systems to improve the safety concerns that come up in every growing city. Many cities now have hundreds of cameras monitoring traffic for accidents and public streets for safety concerns. Video analytics software provides thousands of hours of video footage each camera produces, whittling it down to only important events.
- Systems using IoT technology gives every camera attached to the system into a sensor, with edge computing and analytics starting right from the source. AI technology like machine learning will then complete the analysis and send video footage to humans who can react quickly to solve problems and keep residents safe.
How Can Your City Use IoT Technology?
For governments to successfully enhance their services, increase efficiency, and improve the quality of life for their residents, they need a platform that can power IoT applications technology for smart cities. The right one will process, aggregate, and interpret the data that smart devices generate, ensuring that the infrastructure is in place to take these cities into the new era of connectivity.
Mobile apps, IoT technology, and governments can connect cities and manage multiple public services and utilities that are highly diverse to work as a unified network. We at Locus IT provide support and services that can help manage your business and provide intelligent technology platforms that meet your specific needs, streamlining operations, and increasing profitability. We also provide Microsoft Dynamics training, Microsoft Dynamics Upgrade, Microsoft Dynamics Migration and much more. For more information please contact us.