IT Security Governance in Kuwait is the system by which an organization directs and controls IT security. Information Technology security governance should not be confused with IT security management.
IT security management is making decisions to mitigate risks; governance determines who is authorized to make decisions. Governance mentions the accountability framework and offers oversight to ensure that risks are adequately mitigated, while management ensures that controls are implemented to mitigate risks. Governance confirms that the security strategies are aligned with the business objectives and consistent with regulations.
Measures for Good IT Security Governance in Kuwait
- Governance must be top-down from the board level, through the C suite.
- Develop and implement a risk management approach and a corporate security policy that is aligned to the business requirements and processes.
- Establish, or incorporate into the current risk structure, an IT Security Executive Risk Review Board (ERRB) as defined in your overall risk management strategy.
- Appoint a corporate IT security authority, preferably with a different reporting chain than those responsible for IT operations.
- Clearly identify roles and responsibilities.
- Establish an internal audit and review authority with direct lines of communication to the ERRB.
- Establish and implement an audit and review compliance framework, ensuring that its goals and objectives are known throughout the organization.
- In conjunction with the lines of business, identify the assets and difficult information and the threat and associated risk.
- Develop and implement a series of security controls and associated procedures, with responsibility and accountability as defined in the RACI model for risk management.
- Create, deploy and ensure participation in a mandatory security awareness program, so that person understands their responsibilities, and what the risk management and security controls are intended to achieve, and why.
Review on an ongoing basis
- Review all elements of the program on a regular basis to make adjustments as necessary to ensure that risks are being effectively managed in a balanced manner that accommodates business needs.
Security governance is the glue that binds together all the core elements of cyber defense and effective risk management. Without it, dangers persist and the resulting compromise of assets is inevitable. Moreover, senior leadership is unaware of their organization’s risk exposure, for which they will ultimately be held accountable.