Without applying a Lifecycle mechanism to cyber security in any organization there arises an increased risk of cyber threats affecting the system. A systematic approach in any organization delivers and resist the cyber-attacks, persistent threats to a great extent. The Cyber Security Lifecycle in Qatar is constantly evaluated for any loopholes and is improved and worked upon.
Cyber Security Lifecycle in Qatar Identify Key Assets
The most important step in cyber security Lifecycle is to recognize what is to be protected.
- Identification of network, protocols, topography, assets, and servers needs to be understood in order to have their information on hand before any risk occurs.
- A detailed drilled down information from the operating system, applications, network drives, hostname, IP addresses, and tools is expected to be with the organization.
After identification of the network securities and vulnerabilities now it’s the time to protect your system. This phase in the cyber security Lifecycle is called as ‘MITIGATE’ phase as this eases the risk identified.
The system here should be brought in accordance with the company policies and rules. Awareness about the different techniques available in the industry should be developed among the team. This can be achieved through a series of training.
- Access control – Understanding the various levels of access and grants.
- Data Security – Providing security for the data to be protected.
- Information Protection and procedures– data regarding processing the storage and transmission of sensitive information.
- Maintenance – Regular checks for preserving a specific condition.
- Protective Technology – Technologies protecting your system environment.
No matter what level of protection the system may have, with the increasing threat today it may get compromised at any level. In the detection phase, the system may identify attack signatures and identify the level of activities carried out in the affected system. Security tools should be able to identify normal and malicious activities.
This can be considered similarly like the fire alarm in our offices or homes. It detects the fire in a few seconds and throws an alarm to an environment. IDS (Intrusion Detection System) should be able to suspect the intrusion once it has happened. It should keep a close look on the attacks which are originated from within the system. Following factors can be considered for the same.
- Anomalies and events: – Identifying anomalies at perimeter level is the primary job of all boundary level solution if that fails the entire network is a playground for an attacker.
- Security continuous monitoring: – The solution should have real-time threat monitoring capability.
- Detection process: – Detection process of finding anomalies or threats should be very quick and it should correlate all threats back to the entity so SOC analysts can add anomalies into their threat library.